DOWNLOADING AND RUNNING THE ENCODER
- Download the latest version of the MoonShell 1.0 DPG Tools from http://us.codejunkies.com/downloads/dpgtools.zip
- Extract the tools to a folder on your PC.
- “dpgenc.exe” is the video encoder program. Double click it to run it.
- Click on the ‘Show Options’ box to display the full encoding options.
CHOOSING YOUR ENCODING SETTINGS
Because MAX Media Player uses the DS’s own processor to decode video it is necessary to ensure that you use encoding settings that are not too high for the DS to decode (resulting in choppy video), although the exact settings that will result in smooth playback at the best quality will vary from video to video, you will certainly be able to enjoy stutter free video using the following settings, no matter how much movement there is in the source video:
- Set the Audio bitrate to 64Kb/s
- Set the Video width to 128 pixels
- Set the Video Bitrate to 128kb/s
- Set the Video Framerate to 15fps.
- Click the ‘Select’ button to choose your source video. MPG AVI and WMV are all supported inputs.
- Click ‘Start’ to begin encoding. You will be asked where you would like to save the video to. Encoding will take from a few seconds to many minutes depending on the length and quality of the source file.
These settings will produce a reasonable quality video with a very small file size. The settings can certainly be increased to improve the picture quality, depending upon the video, which will simply be a case of trail and error.
COPYING THE VIDEO TO MAX MEDIA PLAYER
- Connect your MAX Media Player’s Hard Drive or MAX Media Dock to your PC using a USB lead.
- Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop the new encoded video (which will have the .dpg extension) into the ‘Video’ folder on your Hard Drive or Compact Flash card.
- Disconnect the USB lead and connect the Hard Drive or Media Dock to your DS.
PLAY THE VIDEO
- Boot MAX Media Player
- Open the MoonShell folder and double tap on the MoonShell icon
- Highlight the video folder and press ‘A’
- Highlight the name of the movie you just encoded and press ‘A’, the video will now play back on your DS.